Sometimes the smallest imperfection in your smile can discourage you significantly. It’s understandable, your smile is one of the first things someone notices about you. It’s a memorable feature and impacts the way the world perceives you. Not being able to show off your smile every time you want to, can lower your confidence and self-esteem.
That’s why we wanted to formally introduce you to veneers.
Veneers are slim coverings made of porcelain, that go on the front, outside-facing portion of your tooth. They’re custom-made to blend with the shape, size and colour of your teeth, so you can experience vast improvements that are also very discreet and natural looking.
WHAT ARE VENEERS USED FOR?
- Chips or fractures
- Uneven tooth contour
- Staining or discoloration
- Uneven spacing and gaps
- Disproportioned teeth
HOW DO VENEERS WORK?
Being able to conceal smile imperfections, without a lengthy or invasive procedure is what makes veneers so popular. To prepare your tooth for a veneer, Dr. Mohamad gently removes a small amount of enamel from the surface of the tooth. The remaining tooth will be cleaned, polished and then etched to create a better, stronger bond. Then the veneeris permanently cemented on top. Before finishing off, the functionality and aesthetics of your veneer will be tested, to ensure they have a natural look and feel.
REASONS TO CONSIDER VENEERS
- LONG LASTING. Since they’re so strong and durable, veneers will last about 15 years with proper care. (No additional care is required, simply continue your regular dental routine).
- DURABILITY. As we mentioned their strength above, veneers are built to last. A veneer may look thin and fragile, but it’s made from porcelain which helps make them resistant to chips and cracks.
- A BRIGHT SMILE. One of the biggest reasons people choose veneers is to improve the brightness of their smile. Years of staining or discolouration from soda, coffee, red wine, tobacco and just natural ageing. Porcelain provides enhanced stain resistance, so they’ll stay beautiful and white year after year.
- A NATURAL FEEL. The priority for your dentist is to ensure the veneer does its job, without affecting the rest of your mouth or its function. Veneers are designed to mimic your natural teeth so smiling, eating and talking feels the same as it did without veneers.
- A NATURAL LOOK. It’s nice to know that nobody will know you have veneers unless you tell them. They are completely indistinguishable from the rest of your smile. Think about how good it will feel to laugh at a joke and smile at a friend without feeling self-conscious.
- RESTORING ENAMEL. Our natural enamel can wear away over time, simply because of the foods we eat and the pressure we brush our teeth with. This can cause sensitivity, pain, and accelerate decay. The veneer rests on the tooth’s surface, as though it’s part of the tooth, but is made stronger than our natural teeth, in fact, porcelain is resistant to acid erosion so if foods and drinks have eroded your enamel, that won’t happen to your veneers.
- REPAIRING CRACKS. Some cracks can grow to be very serious, threatening the tooth’s integrity. Veneers can repair and eliminate future damage to that tooth and prevent future damage or decay.
ARE VENEERS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Veneers are a great solution for many of our patients, but the dentist will confirm if they’re appropriate for you. Some damaged teeth require a more invasive fix such as crowns. It’s best to book a consult with your dentist so she/he can determine the best option for you and get started right away.